The Henshaw Short Story Competition
Our March, competition is now open with a closing date of 31st March 2019 with results published on this web site on 30th April.
Our entry fee has remained at £5 since the competition began in March 2013. As costs have increased continually to remain viable we need to increase these fees. For the March competition the entry fee will now be £6 and the fee for a critique will rise to £12.
Our prizes have remained at the levels set at the beginning so it is also time to raise these. The prizes in the March competition will now be:-
1st Prize £200, 2nd Prize £75, 3rd Prize £25
1. Entries must be a fictional short story of up to 2000 words on any theme.
2. Entries must be on A4, double spaced and page numbered with the title on each page..
3. All entries must be the original work of the Author, must not have been published before the date of submission and must be accompanied by a single information page containing the author's name, address and telephone number.
4. The Author's name must not appear as a title or in the body of any page other than
the author information page.
5. Entries received after the closing date will not be considered.
6. Do keep a copy of your entry, manuscripts cannot be returned.
7. The judges’ view is final and no correspondence will be entered into in connection with the award of the prizes.
8. Prize Winning Stories will be published on this site.
9. Entries may be made by E mail (preferred), as a Word document, or by post.
10. Entering the competition gives Henshawpress the once only permission to publish the story in an anthology. It is intended to produce the next anthology in 2019 when there have been sufficient prize winning stories.
11. Receipt of all entries will be acknowledged by e-mail or by post where no e-mail address is available.
12. Entrants must be aged over sixteen. If you are sixteen or under do have a look at our Young Writers page.
Each entry by post must be accompanied by a cheque for £6 payable to G. Jennings and sent to:
The Henshaw Competition
24 Rowlandson Close
Entries by E-mail should pay the appropriate fee using the button below and send their story separately to:-
For an extra £12 the judges will provide a critique (of of any story entered into the competition) after the results of the competition have been published.